Chickpea Tikka Masala with Black Rice
I have been consulting with a lot of vegan and vegetarian clients lately, and this one has been a big hit! This recipe is packed with flavour, nutrients, is super satisfying and very quick and easy to make!Save even more time and cook it in a large batch and enjoy over multiple lunch or dinner meals!
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Black rice, microwave pouch (Coles) cooked, ½ – 1 cup
- Chickpeas, canned, drained, female, 125g- 150g
- Light and Creamy Coconut Flavoured Evaporated milk (nestle Carnation), tinned OR coconut milk
- Pumpkin, diced, 75g
- Eggplant, diced, 75g
- Spring onion, mainly stem, diced finely, 50g
- Cauliflower, cut into small heads, 75g
- Tikka Masala Paste (Sharwood’s or Patak’s or similar), 3 tsp.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1-2 tsp.
- Heat fry pan to medium heat, add minimal oil and add curry paste.
- Add spring onion, pumpkin, eggplant and cauliflower to pan and cook until vegetables soften, stirring often.
- Add chickpeas and stir through for 2 minutes allowing them to brown up
- Add another 1-2 tsp. of curry paste (depending on how strong you prefer the flavour) and stir a further 1 minute.
- Turn heat down to low and add coconut evaporated milk/coconut milk. Stir regularly and gently for 2-3 minutes to allow milk to infuse.
- Add precooked rice to pan or serve mix on top of precooked, heated rice.
- For a meat protein option substitute canned chickpeas with raw, lean meat (e.g. chicken, turkey, fish, lamb etc.)
- Lentils, any other bean or tofu also works well as a substitute protein source from chickpeas
- Feel free change up the vegetable portion to what you prefer or have available
- Brown rice or quinoa can be used instead of black rice
- For a lighter vegetarian option, use the Coconut Evaporated milk, or vegan option will use the regular or light coconut milk, both taste delicious!