Coconut Chicken, Mango, Avocado and Freekeh Salad
This recipe will be a crowd pleaser, especially as we come into warmer weather!
As you will notice for main meals I always recommend including a source of low GI carbohydrates. This helps offer long lasting energy and satiety. It will also prevent those intense sugar cravings at 3-4pm that I often see with my clients who try to avoid carbohydrates! You can read more about nutrition in my Nutrition Guide and Recipe Collection.
Time: 20-25 minutes
- Freekeh, ½ -1 cup cooked, or desired amount
- Skinless chicken breast, 100-150g, or desired amount
- Light coconut milk, 2 tbsp. (for marinating/coating chicken)
- Desiccated coconut, 1-2 tbsp. (shavings) (for marinating/coating chicken)
- Mango, sliced into long strips, 100g
- Avocado, 50g, or desired amount
- Snow peas, sliced into thin strips (stalks chopped off), 75g
- Chives, chopped finely, ½ tbsp.
- Mixed lettuce, 1 cup
- Red chilli’s (optional), ½ – 1 small
- Coriander leaves, raw, 1 pinch
- Celery stalk, 30g
Curry-Mango Dressing, combine in a small bowl/cup:
- Mayonnaise, 1-2 tsp.
- Vinegar, 1 tsp.
- Curry powder, 1-2 pinch
- Mustard ½ tsp.
- Lemon juice1 tbsp.
1. Cook freekeh as per instructions on pack. Suggest making in bulk and ahead of time
2. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
3. Cut chicken into smaller strips.
4. Place light coconut milk and desiccated coconut in 2 separate bowls.
5. Coat chicken in coconut milk then cover in desiccated coconut and set aside.
6. Fry chicken on hot pan to brown and seal and transfer onto baking tray lined with foil to bake in oven for 5-10 minutes or until cooked through
7. In a bowl combine chives, snow peas, celery and dressing.
8. In a salad bowl add mixed lettuce and freekah and toss through dressing mix.
9. Top with cooked chicken, avocado, mango, chilli, coriander and gently toss.
10. Refrigerate or serve as is.
- Feel free to use any other grain or pseudo grain such as brown rice, buckwheat or quinoa.
- Also works well with prawns
Don’t forget you can find 99 other recipes in my Nutrition Guide and Recipe Collection!