This recipe will be a week night favourite! Quick, easy, tasty and nutritious!
A great source of iron helping to meet the high requirements for women!
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Lamb backstrap,150g or desired amount, pre marinated from local butcher (Greek, Moroccan, red wine and garlic etc)
- Halloumi cheese, sliced, 40g
- Brown rice, cooked, ½ cup cooked, or desired amount
- Corn, kernels, fresh canned or frozen, 60g
- Spring onion, chopped, 50g
- Baby spinach, 60g
- Garlic, fresh or minced, 5g
- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced
- Line a baking tray with foil and place lamb on top to bake in oven.
- Cooking time will vary depending on size of meat. A large back strap will weight approximately 250g and can make 2 servings. To cook to ‘medium’ bake for 14 minutes.
- Cook brown rice according to instructions on pack or purchase microwave, pre cooked rice pouches and reheat in microwave.
- Heat fry pan to medium – high heat with minimal oil. Stir fry halloumi, spring onion, corn and garlic together until vegetables soften and flavours infuse.
- Add brown rice and stir through. Turn down heat to low and again, allow flavours to infuse stirring occasionally.
- Serve rice mix on a plate
- Remove lamb from oven and let set for a few minutes before cutting against the grain and serving with rice mixture.
- If marinated lamb backstraps are not available, use a plain cut of lamb and make your own Greek marinade combining lemon, oregano, thyme, rosemary, lemon juice and olive oil or Red Wine and Garlic marinade with red wine, fresh or minced garlic and olive oil or Moroccan combining Moroccan seasoning, lemon juice and a dash of olive oil. Allow meat to marinade for 1 + hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Any fish, poultry or meat can be substituted for the lamb
- Mix up the vegetables to your liking or what you have available
- Quinoa, black rice, barley or freekeh also work well as a low GI carbohydrate source.